The January meeting for 2016 will be held at Park Golf Club in Southport on Wednesday the 27th. For further details and a copy of the agenda, please download the invite HERE
In this month’s edition of the SSC-Zine:
- New Government Sports Strategy for an Active Nation; get the breakdown of how the DCMS intends to build a fitter, healthier nation.
- Sport and Recreation Alliance begin partnership with Utility Aid; could your Sports Club save thousands of pounds through participating in the SRA’s new utilities switching initiative?
- Last call for Quiz Time – Don’t Forget that Marine AFC are holding a quiz night on 15th January, 8.30pm arrival and just £1 to enter.
- Treasury urged to grant Tax Breaks to Community Sports Clubs.
- Review of FA Grassroots Survey and the concerns revealed; quality of local and junior pitches prove to be a major concern.
- Formby Men’s Masters Hockey team reach National Quarter Final; a blustery day at Cricket path ends with a comfortable 7-0 victory over Barton Vets.
View all this and more in the SSC-Zine HERE
To all who may have received an email regarding a change in password, please accept our apologies for any confusion. As mentioned at the last meeting, the website is undergoing some maintenance and as such I have changed the password access to the member’s area. This is primarily to ensure that only affiliated clubs can access this area of the site. All affiliated members will receive their new password once the area has been updated.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
Secretary, Sefton Sports Council.
Currently we are updating the members area, as well as one or two other areas, and so for a short period all logins have been locked with the exception of the administrators. Prior to the next meeting, the site will be in full working order once again and chock full of updates. If you have any requests for what could be included on the members only page or have any news that you wish to be uploaded onto the site, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for your patience.
Sefton Loses a Sporting Star.
It is with great sadness that I have to report the passing away of our President Neil Edwards. Neil had been fighting illness for quite some time now and was admitted to hospital last Wednesday. On Saturday morning his fight ended with a cardiac arrest.
A founder member of the Sports Council, Neil was very actively involved for over 30 years. Allied to his love of cricket he was a truely outstanding supporter of sport in the borough. He was forever dashing of to “Lords” in his capacity of Secretary of the League Cricket Conference, meeting with the well known names of cricket, representing cricket at the Houses of Parliament and worked tirelessly for the Formby Pool he is leaving behind a huge hole that I don’t believe can be filled by one man.
We will miss his dry humour and eloquent speaking, his legal reports and work on the website, his availability to talk to people who might need his assistance and his staunch support where needed. He was never frightened to step up to the plate and fight his corner and ruffled a few feathers in his time. He was another volunteer who retired from work, but instead of relaxing, his volunteering seemed to increase rather than decrease. He became more difficult to get hold of because of all his projects and his devotion to his family.
I will miss a great colleague, a fabulous mentor, a man who was very knowledgeable of the workings of sport, but most of all a very close and dear friend. I offer my, and the Sports Council’s sympathies and support to his family.
Neil’s funeral will be held at Southport Crematorium, Southport Road, Scarisbrick PR8 5JQ on Tuesday 18th August at 3:20pm followed by the Gild Hall, Church Road, Formby L37 3NG.
Paul Wilkinson, Chair of Sefton Sports Council